Audi.fr
redesign

SEE CASE STUDY
THE PROBLEM

AUDI.FR

For the car builder based in Ingolstadt (Germany), it was high time to change its old flash-based and non-responsive website.
The site was losing trafic because of poor information architecture and a global transition from their audience to tablet and mobile navigation as a preferred navigation device.

I was hired to join the design team as a visual designer.
I had three months to redesign the French version of the site, solve a bunch of critical issues and deliver comps to the development team.

00

errors/task

00

in leads generated

  • Date

    2015

  • Client

    Audi France

  • Role

    Visual Designer

  • Team organization

    Waterfall

This is Henry, our main persona

Step 1

EMPATHIZE WITH THE USERS

After approximately four weeks of user research, we managed to define three main personas based on interviews and our observations. We had enough data to work on empathy maps before actually synthesizing the navigation issues after a first round of user testing on the existing product.

Step 2

MAPPING THE EXPERIENCE

Our users encountered quite a lot of difficulties because of the loading time and the non-existant information architecture. The overall experience was painful and the abandonment rate was extremely high.

Step 3

WIREFRAMING

It was time to generate some ideas through workshops and design sprints. I came up with lo-fidelity mockups and generated a prototype in InVision. The users reacted positively to the new architecture and felt more comfortable using a simplified interface.

Step 4

BUILDING HI-FI COMPS

Using Audi’s graphic charter, I built my comps using a great deal of inspiration from the work that had been done on the brochures. Most of the designs were fully tested on iPad and iPhone before actually going live.

THANK YOU FOR READING!